How to extend your Indonesia Visa On Arrival in ONLY 2 DAYS - JULY 2022
Applying for an Indonesia Visa On Arrival extension can be very time consuming, as there are alternative ways to acquire one. You can apply for an extension through an agency located in Indonesia, however it usually costs 2/3 times more, takes up to 10 days and the process is relatively the same as applying for it on your own.
Unfortunately the application currently can not be completed online, as you are required to visit an immigration office to hand over your passport and have your fingerprints scanned.
In this article we will break down exactly what you need to know in order to apply for an Indonesia Visa On Arrival Extension in ONLY 2 DAYS, without an agency. So let’s get started.
To clear things up, if you are looking to stay in Indonesia for up to 2 months, the cheapest and most affordable visa there is, is a Visa On Arrival. You are entitled to apply for a Visa On Arrival once you enter Indonesia from one of the main airports:
〰️ Soekarno Hatta, Jakarta,
〰️ Ngurah Rai, Denpasar, Bali,
〰️ Kualanamu, Medan, North Sumatera,
〰️ Juanda, Surabaya, East Java,
〰️ Hasanuddin, Makassar, South Sulawesi,
〰️ Sam Ratulangi, Manado, North Sulawesi, and
〰️ Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta,
〰️ Hang Nadim, Riau, Kepulauan Riau,
〰️ Zainuddin Abdul Majid, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat.
Click here for the latest list
We had planned a 2 month stay in Indonesia. We traveled in July 2022, which was one of the busiest and demanding months to travel into the country, especially Bali, after reopening its border for tourism purposes. So ideally you should try to avoid to renew your Indonesia Visa On Arrival extension in Bali, due to the mass amount of tourists visiting and extending their visas. However, if Bali is your only stop, not to worry, it can still be done on a budget.
If you have the time, try to visit Malang, a small town in East Java to see one of the most unique and breathtaking natural encounters of Indonesia, Mount Bromo - an active volcano. You can relax in Malang for 2/3 days in order to apply for your Indonesia Visa On Arrival extension, and then carry on your journey to Bali.
VISA ON ARRIVAL EXTENSION PROCESS:
Step 1. Visit the immigration office (Kantor Imigrasi) with the following documents:
- Your original passport
- Passport copy + Visa On Arrival copy (there is a photocopy shop within the immigration office. IDR 1000 (Approx $0.07) per page)
- A PDF copy of your outbound ticket. Important to note: If you are like us and won't have a confirmed outbound ticket ready, you can read our article on how you can purchase one which is fully refundable
Location and opening hours
Kantor Imigrasi Kelas I TPI Malang
MON-THR 07:30AM - 04:00PM
FRI 07:30AM - 04:30PM
SAT & SUN CLOSED
Important to note: It’s a governmental office, and there is a dress code for both men and women. The shoulders and knees have to be covered, and no flip flops are allowed. But do not worry, in most of the Immigration Offices they will provide you long pants and shoes to wear at no cost :).
- There are 2 counters, one for Indonesian nationals and the other for foreigners. The foreigners line was empty, we took a ticket and only waited 30 seconds to be attended to.
- Once you get called, go to your assigned counter. The officer will then give you an application form “FORMULIR PERPANJANGAN ATAU ALIH STATUS IZIN TINGGAL KUNJUNGAN (Form of Extension or Conversion of Visit Permit)”, together with their official WhatsApp number.
- Fill out your application form and send your outbound ticket in pdf format to their official WhatsApp number.
- The immigration officer will give you a form to pay the visa fee of IDR 500,000 (Approx. $35USD) per person. Make sure all your personal details on the form are correct. Then head to the little kiosk, (located within the photocopy shop) which is within the Immigration Office. Once you have made a payment, take a picture of the receipt and send it to their official WhatsApp number.
- Go back to your counter, and submit the following documents:
- Your original passport
- Passport copy
- A copy of your Visa On Arrival stamp
- Filled out application form
Step 3. Picture and finger prints
The following day you will require to head back to the immigration office to take pictures and scan your finger prints. If you visit the office early in the morning, you will be able to come back in a few hours and collect your passport with your new Indonesia Visa On Arrival extension stamp. And that’s it!
We hope you found this “How to extend your Indonesia Visa On Arrival in ONLY 2 DAYS - JULY 2022” travel guide useful. Hoping to inspire you to travel and plan out your next travel journey to Indonesia. Please do share it across your social channels, with friends and family.